Surviving Hurricane Sandy

We, here in  Northern New Jersey, are not accustomed to hurricanes. Not like Floridians, anyway. They get them a few times per year and they are prepared – They build differently. They know the might of water and wind, and  make considerations accordingly. We, on the other hand, have trees that stand 60 ft high. Oaks and big and tall pines. They seem to be unbreakable and strong, but when wind gusts  are 120 mph they fall on roofs and cars.

A tree on the roof.






And hurricanes  can be different, too. Some of them are just ordinary hurricanes – they come, make their share of ruckus and vanish in the rain.  Others come  from  the South and make a 90 degree turn, and have a size comparable to  that of the whole continent. And they also conspire with the   moon and hit the largest city in Northern America.

And hurricane Sandy was one of those. The perfect storm with the perfect conditions. A full moon, high tide, south to north with a left turn. It came and punched us like Rocky Balboa’s left hook, sending the entire region into a knockout.  And we are going to feel the aftermath of its punch for years to come. Just ask those who live in Seaside Heights.

But humankind is stubborn. It will take more than a hurricane to break us. Despite the blackout, gasoline shortages, and the nor’easter. It took us only a week to get back on our feet and start manufacturing and installing again.

Here is a short photo report of how that happened.

Day one after the hurricane, Tuesday – just a few hours after the winds came down.

The back door ladder going down into the water.

The lake where we normally park our cars.

Dirt marks on front the door glass.







We came to check on our facility and found it in the water. The streets were flooded, so we parked the cars and walked through water to get to door.  We got inside to find that the water came to 18″ above the floor level permanently damaging everything that was below that level.

Day two after the hurricane, Wednesday – let the cleaning begin.

The waters are gone now, so we start cleaning.

Pool of salt water on the parking lot with seagulls and fish.

Fish in a pool of ocean water on the parking lot.

The floors, walls, file cabinets – all are wet.







There was a ¼” thick layer of mud everywhere on the floor – in the office as well as in the shop. So we started to mop it out.

Day three after the hurricane, Thursday  – still cleaning.





The carpet in the office got ripped off and sheetrock 36″ high was removed. The contractors will come in 10 days to lay new carpet and finish the walls. In the shop, meanwhile, we were washing out every piece of glass that got under water. And it was lots and lots of glass.

Day four after hurricane, Friday – still cleaning.






The mops got replaced with power washers and “zambonis”. Still no power, only generators.

Day five after the hurricane, Saturday – still cleaning.







Day six after the hurricane. Sunday. The cleaning is finally done.

A humble attempt to start up production again. The guys are working on Monday’s schedule.






We are still not fully operational. The machines must be cleaned up and repaired. We are still a little shaky from the enormous stress we lived through and our office looks like it’s been through, well, a hurricane, but I believe we will emerge from this stronger and better than before.

Thanks for all of your help and support, for all the e-mails and phone calls. We needed that in our dark days.

Speak Your Mind